Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Old Lady 7" reviewed at Hero Hill



Scribbler - My Old Lady

reposted from herohill

"I’m not sure too many people will wake up and reach for the depressing, echo-y psych folk Scribbler offer up on the a-side of their My Old Lady 7″, but it’s as close to acceptable morning sounds as the Nova Scotians get (especially when you consider the b-side (zzzzzz) is a 30 second sonic explosion).

Considering the sonic collages and feedback/distortion heavy sound blasts you expect from the band, My Old Lady is comes off as an honest admission of pain. The quirky Neil Young-ish vocals, distant acoustic strums and subtle textures replace the common musical crutches of apathy and nonchalance with something more genuine and universal; loneliness. A broken heart can’t be fixed with substances or anger, and at the end of the day, only time and hope can bring her back to you. I’m not sure if the emotion of this two-minute track makes you want to push on or give up, but it damn well makes you feel something."

No comments:

Post a Comment